Product Review: LivBar Blueberry Vanilla Kale
Everyone loves meatballs with their pasta or anything really. This recipe puts a twist on the usual spaghetti and meatball dish. Instead of serving frozen meatballs with spaghetti, this recipe shows how to make healthy mushroom and pork meatballs with delicious broccolini. It helps keeps things fresh and exciting in the kitchen and at the dining table!
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 oz.)
- 10 oz. pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- 6 tablespoons whole-wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 bunch broccolini, finely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice or apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 (8.8 oz.) pkg. precooked brown rice (ex. Uncle Ben’s)
- Place mushrooms and pork in a food processor; pulse 15 to 20 times or until finely chopped. Place pork mixture in a bowl with panko, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and egg; stir to combine. Divide and shape pork mixture into 24 meatballs (about 1 tablespoon each).
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add broccolini; cook 2 minutes. Place sautéed broccolini in a bowl; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to pan. Add meatballs; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Combine 3/4 cup chicken stock, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and Sriracha in a bowl; add to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until meatballs are done. Combine remaining 1/4 cup stock and cornstarch in a bowl; stir into meatball mixture. Cook 1 minute or until sauce is thickened.
- Heat rice according to package directions. Stir rice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar into sautéed broccolini. Serve with meatball mixture.