Often in the summertime you want a quick and easy meal without any of the fuss of having to cook. This Veggie Salad in a Jar from our friends at Cooking Light is the perfect choice. Super versatile, these salads can be made a day ahead and your little ones can have fun picking and choosing what ingredients they’d like to add to this appetizing meal.
1. Combine olive oil, vinegar, mustard, pepper, and salt in a 1-pint mason jar with a lid; shake well to blend. Divide dressing between 2 (1-pint) mason jars.
2. Divide onion between the 2 jars. Repeat procedure with chickpeas, bell pepper, hearts of palm, tomatoes, and quinoa.
3. Divide lettuce between the 2 jars, gently pressing down to fit. Divide cheese between the 2 jars; secure lids on jars.
4. Refrigerate salad up to 1 day. Shake jar to distribute dressing before serving. Eat straight from the jar, or empty contents into a bowl.
Tips & Trick:
- Pack your salads tightly with the dressing on the bottom, followed by denser ingredients that won’t get soggy while they marinate.
- This recipe is easily adaptable and easy to transport.
The Creative Kitchen™, LLC, teaches children about food and how to cook in a fun, safe, and educational manner. Targeting families with children ages two to teen, the company focuses on teaching, writing creative content and curriculum, special events, recipe development, spokesperson work, webisode production and consulting to present educational and entertaining content through food-related activities. The founder, Cricket Azima, is an expert in cooking for and with children. She inspires kids to express themselves creatively through food and cooking, while complementing lessons with traditional educational material such as social studies, math, arts, science, and more. Visit www.thecreativekitchen.com for more information.