When the temperature rises, we just love to keep meals light and fresh. So you can imagine how excited we were when we found these perfect summertime recipes. You could even say we heard it through the grapevine!
We were also pleasantly surprised to learn that Concord grapes contribute to healthy circulation and provide some memory benefits.
Check out two great ways to enjoy the heart-healthy goodness of Concord grapes… short of serving wine to kids! Eeek! Serve them up at your next summer cookout, you’re guaranteed to get rave reviews! After all, have you ever met a kid (or adult!) who doesn’t love grape juice?
Berry Sensation Salad
3.5 oz. mixed greens
¾ cup Welch’s ® Berry Medley
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup Gorgonzola cheese
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. Welch’s 100% White Grape Juice
1 Tbs. honey
½ tsp. salt
In a large bowl, toss greens, Berry Medley, pecans and cheese. In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients and stir vigorously until blended. Drizzle dressing over salad, toss and serve.
¼ cup of Welch’s Dried Berry Medley = 1 serving of fruit.
Layered Summer Fruit Salad
- 2 cups Welch’s® 100% Grape Juice made with Concord grapes
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 2 tsp fresh lime zest (about 2 limes)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, fine grated
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green grapes, seedless, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 blackberries, washed
- 3-5 fresh green grapes, seedless, on stem
- Place grape juice in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to medium low. Allow juice to simmer on low until reduced by half (12-15 minutes). Remove from heat and cool (5 minutes).
- Stir lime juice, zest and ginger into warm grape juice. Pour juice into a container, cover and refrigerate. Prepare in advance to allow flavors to combine and juice to cool.
- In a trifle bowl or clear container layer fruit— starting with grapes, pineapple, strawberries and cantaloupe, ending with blackberries.
- Pour chilled grape, ginger and lime syrup over fruit, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Syrup will color the fruit purple and create a bolder flavor the longer the fruit sits in the syrup.
Prep time: 20 minutes
PER SERVING: 140 CAL; 2G FAT; (1G SAT FAT); 24G PROTEIN; 7G CARBOHYDRATE; 230MG SODIUM; <1G FIBER