Yield: 4 servings
Total prep time: 15 minutes
8 to 12 Graham crackers
4 cups vanilla yogurt
2 cups raspberries
2 cups strawberries
2 cups blueberries
¼ cup fresh mint, as garnish
1. Place 3 to 4 Graham crackers in separate plastic zipper sandwich bags and carefully seal, with all air removed. Crush crackers into crumbs by having the children hop on top of bags or pound on bags with their fists.
2. Slice hulled strawberries and place aside.
3. Separate mint leaves from stems and chop or tear leaves into tiny pieces. Set aside to use as garnish.
4. In four tall clear cups, create layers of each ingredient (except mint) to make a red, white and blue pattern in the following order:
Graham cracker crumbs, raspberries, vanilla yogurt,
Graham cracker crumbs, strawberries, vanilla yogurt,
Graham cracker crumbs, blueberries, vanilla yogurt.
5. Repeat the pattern until cups are full, then garnish with mint leaves.
6. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Enjoy together!
Tips for Making this Recipe with Kids:
· With adult supervision, have children slice fruit, using a kid-friendly, plastic knife.
· For a dairy-free, gluten-free dessert use soy yogurt and granola or gluten-free cookie crumbles.
· Have children prepare recipe during the festivities as a fun activity.
· Play Simon-Says or Follow the Leader while kids have fun crushing the crackers by jumping on or pounding on the bags.
· Talk about what a “pattern” is and identify and count the colors and layers within the parfait.