In honor of Dr. Suess’ birthday, we have created a new spin on The Creative Kitchen’s favorite “breakfast cake” recipe. The “green” in our Green Eggs and Ham come from vitamin packed green veggies like spinach, zucchini, and broccoli. This is one dish you’ll want to make all year round because of its versatility and convenience. You can customize this recipe to your liking by swapping out vegetables. And we can’t forget mention- It’s Sam I am approved!
Yields 8 servings
1/3 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium potato, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup of spinach
1 teaspoon salt, divided
4 thick deli sliced ham, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet.
- Add onion and cook 2 minutes.
- Add potato, zucchini, spinach and broccoli. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste.
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Add remaining salt, to taste.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables, add chopped ham and stir to combine. Cover and cook
approximately 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat without stirring.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover. Cook until cheese is melted and eggs are completely set. Cut into wedges.